Saturday, January 9, 2010

Ostrich Farm

On Thursday, we went to the Ostrich Farm with Hayden's preschool group. The girls had so much fun there! We went last year too with Avery's group and it was a really great experience for the kids. We didn't spend a lot of time with the ostrich this year because both Avery and Hayden got bitten by them last time. They are pretty vicious - especially when you are trying to feed them.These are the deer that the kids got to feed. Hayden actually did all the feeding and Kiley was content just sticking her fingers in each of the animals' mouths. They are definitely not scared of animals!This Hole in the Wall was a new exhibit this year. There are a bunch of holes in the wall where the goats stick their heads out for you to feed and pet them. It is really fun. All the goats have bells on their necks too so you can hear them when they poke their heads through.For some reason Kiley wouldn't stand up next to the goats. She would just sit or lay down and stick her fingers in their mouths. Thankfully they didn't bite!This is Hayden's friend Kaitlyn. She is a friend from our neighborhood and is in Hayden's preschool group.The donkeys were fun to feed also. Hayden was in love with the baby donkey.Once again, Kiley was getting up close and personal in their mouths. I'm really surprised she didn't get bitten by any of them!My baby :)The lorikeet aviary is a lot of fun too. They will land just about anywhere - especially if you have nectar to feed them. The guy who worked there put one of them on Hayden's head and she was so excited. Kiley was running around chasing the birds wherever they went. She said, "Birdie! Birdie!" about a thousand times. It was cute. As soon as I opened the lid to the nectar, there were four or five lorikeets that landed on me all trying to get some. It was really funny. One of the moms in there had birds going all the way up here arms and on her head. I think Hayden got the idea to have one on her head from her.

We had such a great time at the Ostrich Farm. In case any of you are wondering, it is located about 10 miles south of Casa Grande. Kids and adults over 5 years old cost $5 which includes the animal & bird feed and kids 5 and under are FREE. So it is very inexpensive and the kids will definitely have a great time :) You can look at their website here for directions and information about their monster truck tours as well.

4 comments:

The Tyler's said...

Oh my goodness..that looks so much fun. I don't think I could let those birds land all over me. I'm a whimp when it comes to animals!!

Your Christmas looked fabulous!

Erin said...

That looks like a cool place. I looked it up online and may take our boys there some Saturday. Great pictures of Kiley with the animals. I really can't believe you held those birds. I couldn't have done that.

cwilson said...

Looks like fun! My kids love stuff like that! Your "baby" is not so much of a baby any more! She is getting so big!! I've said it many times and I'll say it again...time flies!!!

Christy said...

Those birds are beautiful. I've never heard of Lorikeets. I would love to make a day trip out there with the fam.