So, yesterday afternoon I thought everything was going so smoothly around the house. My two-year-old and baby were both sleeping and although my four-year-old decided she didn't want to take a nap, she was at least being quiet. I decided it was a good time to start scrapbooking again, which I hadn't done since before Kiley was born. I pulled out my album, photos, etc. and Avery noticed a package of markers that she wanted to color with. (Until now, she has only colored with the Crayola Color Wonder markers, which can only color on special paper.) I reluctanly handed her the markers and told her to be careful and to only color on the paper. Well, I started laying out my scrapbook page and about 30 minutes later, Avery came in holding her beautiful picture that she had colored, although the first thing I noticed was not what was on the paper.
Yes, she had not only used every marker color on her paper, but she had also colored all over herself as well. She had a purple streak on both cheeks, and every other color on her hands, arms, legs, and clothes. When I asked her, "Avery, why did you color all over yourself?" her simple, 4-year-old answer was, "Mom, I was just drawing a rainbow." She had also drawn a picture of our family and pointed out each one of us underneath her 'rainbow'. At first I was upset, but she was just so proud of her drawing, I had to take some pictures of her.
I'm still not sure why or how it got all over her arms and hands. But, when I went into the room where she was coloring, she had all of the markers laid out neatly in a row with all of the caps off of them. So, she may have just been rubbing against them the whole time. Although, the long purple streak on her arm and cheeks would indicate that this was not an accident.
I even told her to try and make a sad face, but she couldn't do it - this was her best effort:
Luckily, the markers were washable and most of it came out of her clothes. I did have a good laught about it though and it confirmed my feelings that she is definitely not ready for "real" markers yet. Children make life so much more interesting, don't they?
6 comments:
I feel your pain. Miriam used to eat them! I'm so glad you have a blog!
I'm sure if there had been markers when Van Gogh was a little boy, he would have done the same thing! Avery definitely has artistic talent!
Love, Grandma D
That is funny! It's good to have a sense of humor at a time like that!
Okay, so I am the mom who is saying, "Yep, that has happened to me." But it was my son, not Keia. I love reading your blog!!!
She looks just to cute to get mad! I am so glad you started a blog!
I'm sure we've all been there. Marlee colors on just about everything, so we have to watch her close during color time. Well, if our kids didn't get into trouble, what else would us stay-at-home moms have to do (besides cooking, laundry, dishes, cleaning the house, running errands, reading scriptures....oh, and somehow squeezing in a shower and brushing our teeth)? :)
Post a Comment