Well, it has been a long time since I have posted anything on here and there are many reasons for that. There have been so many things going on lately and to be honest I haven't really known where to start. About three weeks ago, a very special person died from cancer. Her name is Susan Mortensen Turley and she was 25 years old. She is my brother-in-law's sister and a friend of Brandon's from high school. She had just gotten married to her husband Justin in January of this year and was diagnosed with colon cancer in July. She went through several rounds of chemo and surgery to remove the large tumor in her colon. Unfortunately, her body became too weak to fight anymore and she passed away on Dec. 5th. She and her husband kept a blog throughout her whole treatment and experience and on the last day of her life she used what little energy she had left to tell Justin what to say in her final post. Susan expressed her gratitude for the love and support of others and finished with her powerful testimony of the Savior. It moved me to tears and was incredibly touching.
Although I did not know Susan well before this whole experience, I have learned so much about her through reading her blog, from the comments of her friends and family, and through the stories told of her at her funeral. She was such a positive person and even when she was so weak and in immense pain from her illness, she always found something to be thankful for and expressed her gratitude often to those who cared for her and showed their love and support to her. She put the feelings of others above her own and truly had Christlike love for everyone around her. I have learned so much from Susan and her example has changed my life in my many ways. I have found myself making more of an effort to be kind to others and smile, even when I don't always feel like it. I have noticed myself giving Brandon and my girls a few extra hugs and kisses. When I am having a bad day and I start to feel overwhelmed, I think of Susan and the pain and struggles she endured and suddenly my 'problems' don't seem so unbearable anymore. I think the most valuable lesson I have learned from Susan is that what really matters in this life is what we do for others and the service we give - not because we have to, but because we love the Lord and want to serve Him through others.
That is what I will remember the most about Susan and take with me throughout my life. It is obvious that she was much better prepared to leave this world than I am right now. I have a long way to go to be like her and to have the spirit and attitude and light that she had that affected so many others. I will forever be grateful to her for sharing her thoughts and feelings with us during her difficult trial. I admire her husband Justin for his unconditional love to Susan and his example of how we should all love our spouses. My heart goes out to him as he struggles in the weeks, months, and years to come. I can't imagine what it would be like to go through something like that. It seems like things like this only happen to the best people and to those who have much more faith and patience than I do.
If you want to read Susan and Justin's blog it is http://www.lemonademakers.blogspot.com/ , or you can click on their link under my blog list. The latest post is the program from her funeral, as well as the talk her father gave at her funeral. You will see how beautiful she is, inside and out, and why so many people love her. It is truly inspiring.
I Do Now
4 days ago
2 comments:
Wow... My first thoughts are for her husband. I pray he'll find comfort in his time of loss. What wonderful people to have brushed shoulders with. I love learning amazing things through others and the way the live their lives.
Wow. I just read about her on her blog. I remember her now from high school. What an amazing person. This really makes be think about my life and the legacy I hope to leave behind when ever that is. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment