Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Merry Christmas and Happy Emergency Room

Well this last week has been quite adventurous for our family! Christmas was really fun this year. It seems to get better and better as the kids get older. Avery got a new bike from Santa. She was so sad it was raining that day and she couldn't ride it outside. (By the way, it was so great to have a rainy Christmas this year. It felt more like "winter" here in AZ.) Hayden spilled her orange juilus all over her pajamas, so I had to take them off after breakfast. After I took Hayden's pjs off, she pushed her new baby doll and stroller all around the house in her birthday suit. Of course I had to get a picture of it.Kiley was in heaven with all of the toys, wrapping paper, and goodies to play with on the floor after all the presents were unwrapped. We had a really nice, low-key Christmas. And thank goodness it was low-key! The two days after Christmas were spent packing up and moving to a different house (only about 10 min. away). After spending all day at a friend's house, we picked up the girls and brought them to the new house. They were so excited to be in a different place - they were running around and jumping on everything.
Brandon and I were rearranging furniture in the living room and Hayden was jumping around on some pillows and cushions on the floor. All of a sudden she slipped on one of them and we heard a "crack" as she landed. She immediately started screaming and holding her right leg. Brandon and I looked at each other with the, "Oh no, what do we do now?" look.
So Brandon took Hayden to the local hospital where they took x-rays and discovered she had broken her femur! She was transferred by ambulance to Phoenix Childrens Hospital and I met them there at about midnight. The following day (Sunday) she was put under general anesthesia while they put her cast on. The doctors thought she may need surgery, but thankfully it was not needed. Because of the location of her break though, the cast goes all the way down her right leg, up around her waist, and halfway down her left leg.This was Sunday night at the hospital. We came home from the hospital on Monday to a house full of boxes. Thankfully, Brandon already had the week off of work and we have had a lot of help from family and ward members. It is almost impossible to get her in and out of the car like this, so someone will have to be home with her at all times. It's going to be an interesting 6 weeks, but we will make the most of it! Hayden spends most of the time on the couch at home and enjoys watching lots of movies. Considering her condition, she has done remarkably well and she still has her spunky Hayden personality. There are moments of frustration on everyone's side, but we get through them. It's funny that just the other day Brandon and I were talking about how great things were going for us lately and we both mentioned that something bad was bound to happen at any time. Unfortunately, we were right. That's the way life goes!

9 comments:

Nettie said...

Oh Brooke! I felt so bad when Brandon called to have Bryce help with the blessing...I just thought, "seriously? After a long day of moving they have to have something like THIS happen??" That must have been awful for all of you. Please let me know what we can do to help. We're just around the corner now! :) Hang in there!

Jen said...

wow!! what a day! poor hayden that is some crazy cast!!

Dallas and Shelby Scoffield said...

Nooooo!! Poor Brooke and right after Christmas too with all the holiday hustle and bustle. Give poor Hayden a hug for us- email me your address and we'll send her some fun stuff to keep her busy.

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! I couldn't believe it as I was reading it! What a sad little picture of Hayden in the cast. I hope the 6 weeks go by quickly for all of you! Congrats on a new house, too! I'll call you soon and you can tell me all about it!

jake and kelsey said...

I'm so sorry this craziness is going in your life. What a crazy '08 you guys have had. Hopefully this year, and your new home will bring joy and happiness. Thanks for calling me on my birthday yesterday. It's been kinda crazy for us two with Jake's parents' divorce etc. I will call you tomorrow and we'll chat. Love ya!

cwilson said...

Poor Hayden! I'm glad she was able to enjoy her Christmas present first! Good luck with the new house!

Justin, Amy, and Grace said...

Oh, man! I feel so bad for toddlers who break bones. A friend of mine has a 3 year old daughter who broke her femur last year and a couple of weeks before the cast came off she figured out how to walk pretty well with it. I hope she's feeling okay and that you are hanging in there.

Crockett said...

Oh my goodness! Poor little Hayden. I'm glad that things are going better for her now. I was excited to get your email and blog invitation! Where did you guys move to?

Jocey said...

Honey you have brought me to tears. I am so glad you had people to take care of you, since I apparently didn't. I love you and hope you are all well!